Double Glazing Maintenance Tips UPVC Windows & Doors Greenhithe Willington Bean
Double Glazing Maintenance Tips
The Window Wizard would like to give all our customers some helpful Double Glazing Maintenance Tips. Believe it or not, summer is here but according to the news this is the wettest April for 100 years.
Hopefully we will get some sunny days soon although we have a hose pipe ban in force at the moment. There is nothing stopping you from Spring cleaning and washing your windows. Just a bucket of warm soapy water and whilst doing this checking for any leaks or gaps.
A list of checks and Double Glazing Maintenance Tips
Now is a good time to open all your windows and doors. Put a drop of lubricant on all the moving parts within the locks, handles and mechanisms. Please see below the diagram for advice on where to oil your hinges.
An ideal lubricant is ‘3 IN ONE’ oil or any light machine oil, NOT WD40!
It is recommended by the manufacture that you lubricate your hinges twice a year to prolong the life and to stop any squeaking noises.
Have you inspected your windows and doors recently?
- Oil your window and door hinges
- Can you feel a draft from your windows? Then you may need new window hinges.
- When your door is in the locked position lift the handle and turn the key. Does your handle operate smoothly? Now open your door and repeat the procedure again? If you find the operation of the handle and multi-lock operates better when the door is open, then you may need your door adjusting. Prevention is better then cure and a door adjustment could stop the multi-lock from breaking as the misalignment between the door and the frame may put a strain on the lock.
- When washing / cleaning your UPVC windows please avoid using washing up liquid, as this could damage and degrade the rubber seals also when cleaning your UPVC frames, remember not to use anything abrasive as this could scratch the surface and trap the dirt.
- Use a damp clean cloth to clean the friction track on your sliding patio doors, to ensure that they are free from dirt and debris.
- Have you mislaid your window keys? Check you have your window keys. Its a good idea to keep a window key in each room in the event of an emergency or fire.
- Clean any blocked drain holes (please see photo below) After a heavy downpour you may find water laying in the bottom of your door and window frames? If the drainage holes are blocked this will not allow the water to drain away through the drainage holes in the base.
If you find any problems just give me a call and I will be happy to advise and quote for any repairs needed. I specialise in broken door locks, lost window keys, drafts, replacement hinges and door adjustments
Please Click here to read more details on UPVC window and door leaks, gaps and drafts
Specialist in all types of double glazing repairs
Double Glazing UPVC repairs for all age and makes of windows & doors
The Window Wizard
Telephone No.020 8310 4193
Bexleyheath, Dartford, Crayford, Swanley, Welling, Wilmington, Thamesmead, Sidcup, Erith
The Window Wizard is a specialists in double glazed windows, doors and conservatory repairs.
We fix and replace parts such as faulty locks, mechanisms, handles and hinges. With over 25+ years’ of experience, we pride ourselves in offering great customer service. We will only charge you for work and repairs that actually needs doing.